EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   UI Update (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=79011)

Terry 24 Jan 2022 08:26 AM

UI Update

I like the recent update to the UI

DumbGuy 24 Jan 2022 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 624412)
I like the recent update to the UI

There is more to come but some is still on the Beta at the moment.

I just noticed it kick in on webmail/desktop just now. I'm still exploring...

Terry 24 Jan 2022 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumbGuy (Post 624413)
I just noticed it kick in on webmail/desktop just now. I'm still exploring...

Looks like a lot more is out of Beta....:D

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 08:55 AM

I don't like the imo excess space around the messages in the list. I hope that is optional.

easemail 24 Jan 2022 01:10 PM

Not too bad, but man... that space to the right of the compose button... that's off-putting. Can't get equal spacing around it even if you drag the divider completely to the left (which squishes the edit & find button together on the bottom.) That little thing makes the screen feel really off to me. :confused:

Terry 24 Jan 2022 01:13 PM

Perhaps in the center

easemail 24 Jan 2022 01:28 PM

Centering would look wrong as well in my opinion. Just need the button to go out more like this: https://imgur.com/a/jvzygfY

JoeR 24 Jan 2022 02:29 PM

Is there a way to revert? I hate the constant pointless changes to the UI.

hans2010 24 Jan 2022 03:14 PM

The new UI changes are not good. They are prioritizing trendiness over usefulness.

The current trend in UI design is to assume users have fewer brain cells than they used to have, and therefore, they think the screen should have less useful content than it had before. It's unfortunate that FastMail has succumbed to this trend.

The trend is to have more white space and therefore less content per screen. The number of folders in the folder list is fewer than before, which serves no useful purpose, it just makes me have to do more scrolling. Same goes for having fewer messages listed in the message list (such as the Inbox or folder). They do this by increasing the white space between items, the result being fewer items per screen, then you have to do more scrolling.

Why do they assume our brains can't handle looking at more than a small number of things at a time?

In the folder list in the left panel, the new message count (next to the folder name) used to have a borderline around it, which is now removed. I think the borderline helped the number to stand out from the other information (and I'd assume that's why it was there in the first place). In other words, it was useful.

I'm wondering if the people working there are all new, and they don't know why the design choices in the previous UI were made in the first place, and when they don't understand why something is there, they just throw it out.

Is that design methodology good for users? In my opinion, no.

Terry 24 Jan 2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK (Post 624415)
I don't like the imo excess space around the messages in the list. I hope that is optional.

If it is where I think you mean you can slide the bar left or right.

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 624423)
If it is where I think you mean you can slide the bar left or right.

No Terry; I mean the message list not the folder list. And the vertical spacing around the messages.

Cheers Jeff

Terry 24 Jan 2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffK (Post 624424)
No Terry; I mean the message list not the folder list. And the vertical spaing around the messages.

Cheers Jeff

Ok....just a thought what about changing the default font in your account settings.
I have not tried that yet.
May need F/m intervention in the spacing.

gardenweed 24 Jan 2022 04:37 PM

So far, I find it's fine.
Prior to this new UI, I used the "Compact" theme, I think that's what is was called.
It's gone now.
So - per other peoples comments - the new UI is more spaced out.
But it seems fine.
Nice to be able to change the colour scheme. I'll probably do that once in a while.

JeffK 24 Jan 2022 04:38 PM

Bring Compact back

Terry 24 Jan 2022 04:49 PM

No... I'm old and cant read it, perhaps have 2 options.