EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   About this site... (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why can't I log in? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74414)

webecedarian 2 Jun 2019 08:22 AM

Why can't I log in?
 
Tried about a dozen times over the course of three days, with different browsers and different computers. Tried multiple times to send a DM to Edwin, hoping it went through.

And hoping this will post....

Berenburger 2 Jun 2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webecedarian (Post 610275)
Tried about a dozen times over the course of three days, with different browsers and different computers. Tried multiple times to send a DM to Edwin, hoping it went through.

And hoping this will post....

Seen. And no problems logging in.

Bamb0 3 Jun 2019 03:06 PM

Im glad you were finally able to login my friend :)

webecedarian 5 Jun 2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 610277)
Seen. And no problems logging in.

No. Still having problems. My one post with this thread took 15-20 attempts at 4-5 computers over three days. Now I still can't post in one of the other forums. Sent a mod plea for help, but that took multiple attempts, and since no answer, maybe he didn't get that, either.

So - help!

Bamb0 5 Jun 2019 03:51 PM

What exactly is happening bud??

Are you arriving at a login prompt??? (Getting dropped)

Berenburger 5 Jun 2019 03:52 PM

Do you have Twitter? Try a DM to https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names.

Bamb0 5 Jun 2019 03:53 PM

OOOOPS I think you replied on the wrong tab Berenburger?? (I have done that.... Had several open and forgot which one I was on)

Berenburger 6 Jun 2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamb0 (Post 610299)
OOOOPS I think you replied on the wrong tab Berenburger?? (I have done that.... Had several open and forgot which one I was on)

No, I donít. Itís the twitter account of Edwin.

Bamb0 6 Jun 2019 11:37 PM

Oh ok Im sorry my friend.. Your trying to help as I am :) (I didnt know that was Edwins page)


Im not sure what is happening...... If its from the DNS change I wonder if he is the only one having issues??

webecedarian 9 Jun 2019 08:50 AM

Here's what's happening:

Just now, I logged in. It went fine, normally. The system greeted me by name. But then it immediately went back to: You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.

Sometimes it will let me get to try to reply, or start a new thread, or send a DM (as I tried to do to Edwin), but then shuts me out again. This time I have just now logged in 6 or 8 times. Hoping this will post.

No, don't have Twitter, although I can't imagine it would make any difference with this problem. So what do you people think is going wrong???

Berenburger 9 Jun 2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webecedarian (Post 610324)
No, don't have Twitter, although I can't imagine it would make any difference with this problem. So what do you people think is going wrong???

To pickup your problem. Heís more active on Twitter then on this board.
Somehow it looks like you are blocked. Maybe some of the moderators can do something for you.

Bamb0 9 Jun 2019 10:40 PM

Make sure to always check "REMEMBER ME" when you login (The main one @ the top right is auto checked but the other ones are not. You have to check it yourself)

That should stop you from being dropped........ Good luck my friend :)

Edwin 24 Jun 2019 10:24 PM

Nothing special about your user profile, so the forum settings don't seem to be able to explain why you can't stay logged in. Sorry.

webecedarian 1 Jul 2019 08:19 AM

Thanks, Edwin, but isn't there something you can tweak?

I've had to log in 6-7 times to get this far. Three times, just now, after logging in, instead of ending up on the site webpage, it's just a blank white screen, like it refuses to load.

Berenburger 1 Jul 2019 03:34 PM

Suggestion. Have you tried a new account?

Bamb0 2 Jul 2019 02:27 AM

I dont think a new account would work... It sounds like something is blocking the page from loading on his end....

Does this happen across multiple browsers??


EDIT:

I see you said it does....... I wonder if your AV or something may be causing issues??

webecedarian 7 Jul 2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 610680)
Suggestion. Have you tried a new account?

Not sure what you mean. You mean a new handle? No. I rather like this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamb0 (Post 610682)
I dont think a new account would work... It sounds like something is blocking the page from loading on his end.... Does this happen across multiple browsers??

EDIT:

I see you said it does....... I wonder if your AV or something may be causing issues??

Excuse my ignorance. I don't know what an AV is.

- - - - - -


Wait, it went through! Do I dare to hope? That is, it went through twice, and I got all excited. But then it started fighting me and closed me out twice. And now a third time. Even though it clearly has me logged in in the upper right corner.

*sigh*

Bamb0 7 Jul 2019 06:23 PM

I was just curious if your AV might be blocking the page for some reason (Anti Virus Software)


Hmmmmmmm

JeremyNicoll 26 Jan 2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamb0 (Post 610335)
Make sure to always check "REMEMBER ME" when you login (The main one @ the top right is auto checked but the other ones are not. You have to check it yourself)

AHA!

I just came to this part of the forum to find out if anyone else has this same problem. Most times when I intend to post I login using the boxes at the top right of the main page, and that always works.

Sometimes I forget and use the boxes following a "you have to login" reminder, and with that method a successful login is followed by the system greeting me, and that's followed by the system telling me I am not logged-in.

So... /why/ is there a "remember me" option? What possible use is there in logging-in and not being remembered?

n5bb 27 Jan 2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll (Post 613387)
...
So... /why/ is there a "remember me" option? What possible use is there in logging-in and not being remembered?

I believe that you must enable cookies for this site (and not delete those cookies) for your login to be automatically recognized by the website. Your browser may also independently try to recognize login forms and supply login credentials. I have no complaints about how this works for this site, both with desktop browsers and mobile devices.

Bill

JeremyNicoll 27 Jan 2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 613392)
I believe that you must enable cookies for this site (and not delete those cookies) for your login to be automatically recognized by the website. Your browser may also independently try to recognize login forms and supply login credentials. I have no complaints about how this works for this site, both with desktop browsers and mobile devices.

Bill

I think you've misunderstood my point.

I don't enable/disable cookies per site. I don't let any of my browsers store credentials, and I clear cookies and browser history regularly.

I login frequently with no problem here (using the page-top userid + password fields, which I'm now aware works because "remember me" is pre-ticked).

But login prompts displayed by the site, if eg you click on 'Reply' without already being logged in, are displayed without the "remember me" box being pre-ticked, and I was not ticking it, and although as soon as you do login the system greets you by name, the very next thing that happens is you're told you are not logged in.

I was asking WHY a site would have a login-but-don't-remember-me option. It is COMPLETELY useless. No-one would program such a thing. But maybe there's a configuration problem...

On other sites where there's a "remember me" option the difference is in how long one is remembered for. For example one might expect to be able to use a site for quite a long time provided one interacts with it every few seconds, or every minute or two, but then be logged-out if (not being remembered) one does nothing for, say, more than 5 minutes. If one IS being remembered one might be able to do nothing for days at a time without being logged-out.

This site is acting as if the "five minute" threshold in that example is set to 0 seconds.


Looking at the source for some pages suggests that the site is running on "vBulletin" version 3 (which is not recent). I found a "legacy products" section of the vBulletin support forum and searched for this issue, and I think I found it. First, lots of hits about various problems with "Remember me" not working for everyone, site owners finding out how to make it pre-ticked etc:

https://forum.vbulletin.com/search?s...%7D&btnSubmit=

and more specifically a post that seems to address the issue happening to us:

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...em-can-t-login

One post describes how, at least, to make sure "Remember me" is pre-ticked:

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...-me-by-default

but maybe that only affects the main login (which for us IS pre-ticked). Possibly something similar could be done to make sure the pop-up login prompts also have it pre-ticked.


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy