EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   pubbox.net - Interesting Free IMAP/SMTP service (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=46592)

filtered 29 Nov 2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PUBBOX
It's currently hidden in the Terms and Conditions:
Ah, thanks. I guess I need to read more carefully.

ReuvenNY 29 Nov 2006 11:34 AM

Problem with SMTP

I am using Mozilla Suite email client with Pubbox.net. My ISP is blocking port 25 but allowing port 26. Other SMTPs I am using work fine, but I have a problem with your service. Could you post some instructions of how to set it correctly?

Thanks.

nbarr 29 Nov 2006 12:32 PM

For those out there whose ISP's block Port 25.
SMTP SSL Port 465 now works.

ReuvenNY 29 Nov 2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nbarr
For those out there whose ISP's block Port 25.
SMTP SSL Port 465 now works.

Thanks, that worked!

jrafter 29 Nov 2006 01:47 PM

I can't get SMTP SSL Port 465 to work in Apple's Mail.app. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Pacdoc 29 Nov 2006 06:35 PM

Teach / Learn

OK, SSL IMAP AOK!

How do you do the ham / spam learn or teach thing?

Fenman 29 Nov 2006 06:54 PM

Re: Teach / Learn

Quote:

Originally posted by Pacdoc
OK, SSL IMAP AOK!

How do you do the ham / spam learn or teach thing?

Amongst your list of folders you will see one call 'ham-learn' and one called 'spam-learn'.

Copy the non-spam (ham) into ham-learn and the spam into 'spam-learn'.

It seems that the 'ham' one returns the originals to the inbox once digested but safest to 'play' with copies till you're comfortable with how it behaves.

ReuvenNY 29 Nov 2006 09:01 PM

Move to the "ham" only the false positive - those that were flagged SPAM that are NOT spam.

Fenman 29 Nov 2006 09:40 PM

Details of Pubbox spam process is here including the information that the ham-train folder returns e-mails to the Inbox whereas that in spam-train is deleted.

PUBBOX 29 Nov 2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Move to the "ham" only the false positive - those that were flagged SPAM that are NOT spam.
Move to "ham" as much as you can. (Of course, each email only once.) This is to prevent false positives, not just to react on them. Well, of course, once you really have one it should go there, too... But this is VERY UNLIKELY.

ReuvenNY 29 Nov 2006 10:23 PM

PUBBOX, what is your criteria of increasing the 100MB space to 1000MB? Is it storage, bandwidth, time used, frequency?
Another point - your site is dark blue, hard on the eyes. Would you consider changing the background color to something a little lighter?

PUBBOX 29 Nov 2006 11:05 PM

The training of the spam filter has to make sense. This sensefullness will be determined by checking the behaviour of the spam-filter you accomplished so far. If it does say "ham", against known ham messages, spam vice versa and generates 0 false positives, you are TRUSTED.

Thus, checking your emails twice a day, but never getting an email will not bring you to this level. But in that case you obviously don't need 1G.

sarathb 30 Nov 2006 03:03 AM

Pubbox down

HI friends
Look like pubbox.net is down. I tried to access the URL. Nothinghappens.
THis is happening currently at 12PM central time USA
Sarath

ReuvenNY 30 Nov 2006 03:06 AM

The site may be down, but the IMAP/SMTP works.

xmailer 30 Nov 2006 04:05 AM

Re: Pubbox down

Quote:

Originally posted by sarathb
HI friends
Look like pubbox.net is down. I tried to access the URL. Nothinghappens.
THis is happening currently at 12PM central time USA
Sarath

It's about 2PM Eastern time (about an hour after your above post) and I'm unable to open the main pubbox.net page. Since it's not currently convenient for me to use IMAP, it's a little difficult for me to be a "regular" user of the service at the moment. ;)