EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Filters / Search (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=1434)

jam 30 Nov 2001 01:08 PM

Filters / Search

Hi. I'm on one mailing list that actually addresses the To: and From: fields by individual list member. It's kind of annoying, but the only way to filter them, is by the Reply-To, Originator, or Sender headers.

It'd be extremely helpful if one of these fields, or a search all headers option could be added...

Thanx, jam.
:)

Jeremy Howard 3 Dec 2001 07:31 AM

OK, I've added that in. There's a choice "Any header" now which searches the following headers: Sender, X-Sender, Mailing-List, X-Apparently-From, X-Version, X-Sender-IP, Received, Return-Path, Delivered-To, List-Post, Date, Subject, To, From, Reply-to, X-AntiAbuse

I've also added another option "Envelope" which searches the actual From and To address used in the delivery. The 'To' address won't work properly, however, for messages retrieved from POP links, since when it is transferred to FastMail.FM the 'To' address is your FastMail.FM user name, not the original recipient.

spruce 20 Dec 2001 03:46 AM

Envelope & SMTP

Hi,
I just bounced a message off my fastmail.fm account and noticed that the bounce handler is something called Sieve. Now my bounce rule was a match on the Envelope, specifically the envelope to in my case. I was wondering whether this type of filter is or can be handled at the RCPT TO stage of the SMTP conversation. If it was, and the message was spam, for example, would/does this behavior take the burden of generating the bounce message off your server and give it to the spammer's server before you even accept any of the body of the message? If this were the case, I would be able to give all my friends "special words" to add to plus addressing of my email, like "user+box@host" where box is the special word using plus addressing. Then I could bounce my main user box "user@host" with an envelope rule, and that should reduce spam for myself AND fastmail.fm Sieve process or whatever in one fell swoop, right?

spruce 20 Dec 2001 04:04 AM

Also, Delivered-To?

Two posts back you mentioned the All Headers filter searching the "Delivered-To" header from some other ISPs. Is this the same as your "Envelope"? If so, what other ISPs have you encountered that actually include this in their email headers? I'm especially interested in whether the header would survive your POP Linking process.

If I got a webspace with secure cgi script access that forwarded everything at anyuser@mydomain to a single fastmail.fm account, does "Delivered-To" also usually include plus addressing special words?

I realize some of my questions have to do with items that are transparent to most users, but to those interested in email security and the like, the answers should at least be interesting, and since you've handled the rest of this implementation so expertly, you would be the ones to help us understand.

Thanks again.

Jeremy Howard 20 Dec 2001 06:42 AM

Re: Envelope & SMTP

Quote:

Originally posted by spruce
I just bounced a message off my fastmail.fm account and noticed that the bounce handler is something called Sieve.
This is Sieve: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3028.html.
Quote:

I was wondering whether this type of filter is or can be handled at the RCPT TO stage of the SMTP conversation.
No it can't. SMTP can not reject receipts to some recipients but not others. So policy in SMTP must be site-wide, not per user. Sieve rules are handled by the Cyrus LMTP daemon; LMTP knows how to handle per-recipient actions, so this is where Sieve kicks in.
Quote:

If this were the case, I would be able to give all my friends "special words" to add to plus addressing of my email, like "user+box@host" where box is the special word using plus addressing.
You can do this now with the 'secret word' feature in Preferences->Define Rules. It doesn't improve the load for FastMail.FM's server, but as I mentioned above that's not really possible because of how SMTP works.

Jeremy Howard 20 Dec 2001 06:47 AM

Re: Also, Delivered-To?

Quote:

Originally posted by spruce
Two posts back you mentioned the All Headers filter searching the "Delivered-To" header from some other ISPs. Is this the same as your "Envelope"?
No, it's not the same. See this thread for details.

Quote:

If I got a webspace with secure cgi script access that forwarded everything at anyuser@mydomain to a single fastmail.fm account, does "Delivered-To" also usually include plus addressing special words?
Often it does. But really you should use Envelope, which alwayscontains plus addressing special words.

Quote:

I realize some of my questions have to do with items that are transparent to most users, but to those interested in email security and the like, the answers should at least be interesting, and since you've handled the rest of this implementation so expertly, you would be the ones to help us understand.
These kinds of questions would probably be best asked on news://news.fastmail.fm/webmail.fastmail.techie if you have NNTP access. Otherwise, just ask them here--I'm just trying to avoid this forum getting too offputting for new users not familiar with the techie details...

spruce 3 Jan 2002 07:28 AM

I noticed on this thread: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=1729 you mention the Envelope information will also be added to the visible headers. Thanks.